Before, during and after a Hurricane
After a Storm
- If you evacuated, have valid identification. You will not be allowed back into your area unless you can show proof of residency
- When re- entering your home, proceed with caution.
- Be cautious of fires. Do not strike matches until you are certain there are no gas leaks.
- If you're at home, stay there and avoid sightseeing, which can impede emergency and recovery response from officials.
- If a power outage occurs, turn off or disconnect all motor- driven appliances and fixtures to avoid damage from sudden surges when power is restored. It's safer to use flashlights than candles.
- Beware of snakes, insects and animals driven to higher ground.
- Avoid downed or dangling utility wires.